Who pays the Article Processing Charge (APC) for articles arising from inter-institutional collaboration?

Answered By: Open Access Team
Last Updated: Feb 15, 2016     Views: 58

Usually it will be the corresponding author’s institution that pays, but there will be exceptions – for example, if the corresponding author is at an institution without an open access policy or open access APC funding, but one of the other authors is based at a UK institution and acknowledges Research Councils UK or COAF funding in the paper, then that author’s institution may be called on to pay the APC. Where authors come from countries which both have an open access policy then the Institutions Open Access Teams may be able to help negotiate a way to share the APC charges.

(Taken from ‘Openworks ask an OA Colleague: Prototype for Wiki for support staff, sample questions’ by the opeNWorks project and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License)

Need more help? Email our team at or check out our Open Access LibGuide.

Related Topics

Can't find the answer you need?

Use the form below to send us your question.

Please give an e-mail address so we know where to send your answer. We will not share it.
Your Question
Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.