How do I access British Standards?
Answered By: Subject Support McClay Library Last Updated: Aug 02, 2022 Views: 1293
Queen’s staff and students can access most British standards via the British Standards Online (BSOL) database.
There are two options for accessing documents on the British Standards Online database:
- To view a document on the screen, select "Quick view"
- To download a document, select "Download PDF"
BSI have recently applied digital rights management protection to PDFs on the British Standards Online database. This means:
- downloaded PDFs can only be opened with a PDF reader (such as Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader); downloaded PDFs will not open in a web browser
- you are required to have the FileOpen plug-in installed on your computer
- the first time you open a downloaded PDF, you will need to be connected to the internet, so that the document can be authenticated. Once the document has been authenticated, you can access it offline.
BSI provide further information and a download link for the FileOpen plug-in (see the Links & Files section below)
BSI only permit printing of a single copy of a document. Printing any number of pages of a document (even a single page) is counted as a single print. BSI recommend that if you need a printed version, you print the entire document.
Can't find the answer you need?
Use the form below to send us your question.